Our admissions decisions are made after a consideration of all candidates who apply in a given year based upon (a) GMAT or GRE scores, (b) past GPA, (c) strength of letters of recommendation, (d) past experience in teaching and conducting research, (e) past work experience in business contexts, and (f) quality of the personal essay by the applicant. Online or face-to-face interviews may also be requested in some cases, but not all.
We encourage international applications, although our experience has been that it helps a great deal if the student’s first experience in a U.S. educational institution is not at the doctoral level. International students without any former experience in U.S. institutions may be encouraged to first seek an MBA from Michigan State or some other school accredited by the AACSB prior to seeking a Ph.D.
Application to our program is based on the following materials:
- A Completed online application for admission to graduate studies at MSU with fees paid.
- College transcripts showing grades received while pursuing all prior undergraduate degrees as well as graduate degrees, if any. Official copies should be sent directly to the Department of Management:
Department of Management
The Eli Broad College of Business
Michigan State University
632 Bogue Street, N475
East Lansing, MI 48824-1122
The Office of Admissions will accept the following as certified copies:
i. The copy is notarized with name/stamp/seal/date and submitted by the applicant in a sealed envelope.
ii. The copy of the original is attached to an MSU faculty written translation signed and dated by faculty member when original is not in English.
iii. The copy is stamped “true copy” or “duplicate” by the international institution (must be in sealed envelope).
- Three letters of reference from individuals who are able to appraise your personal interests, abilities, and the likelihood that you will successfully complete your PhD program. There is no specific recommendation form. Letters of recommendation should be mailed either to the department’s address (see above) or emailed to the Department of Management’s doctor program coordinator, Professor Brent Scott. Alternatively, you may use the recommendation portal that will be available when you complete the online application.
- Standardized Test Scores: To be considered for admission, you must submit valid scores (less than 5 years old) from either the GMAT or the GRE. We accept either test. The Michigan State University code for the GMAT is QH0-5P-41 (Q-H-ZERO-FIVE-P-FOUR-ONE). The Michigan State University code for the GRE is 1465 (university) or 0591 (department). International students must submit valid TOEFL scores (less than 2 years old) in order to be considered for admission. The Michigan State University code for TOEFL score is 1465.
- A written statement of personal goals. This statement should address (a) the area(s) of management in which you are interested, (b) why you believe the program and faculty at Michigan State University fit your interests, and (c) your career objectives upon completion of your degree. This statement should be no longer than two pages (double-spaced). Please note that when you complete the online application, you will be asked to complete an “academic statement” and a “personal statement.” Your statement of personal goals can be used for both the academic statement and the personal statement.